Now in it's second yearHJF’s initial presentation to the fifth grade class at the Dorothy I. Height Elementary School in the Petworth neighborhood, gave students a chance to meet our staff, and raised awareness of the benefits of bike riding. Although few owned bikes, and some had never even ridden, a whole new world opened before them, even the opportunity to own a bike. Kids and teachers were enthusiastic, and the After School Bike Club was born! HJF volunteer mentors meet weekly with fifth grade students.
- Students gain confidence and overcome their fear of riding with the encouragement of their mentors, teacher and classmates.
- They learn and practice safety skills riding on bikes provided by HJF
- Students learn how to take care of a bike and the A B C’s of bike maintenance
- Students are encouraged to write in their Club Journal and share all their experiences and thoughts about bike riding
The HJF after school program has multiple, complementary goals:
- Empowerment by learning a concrete, hands-on skill
- Exercise and fresh air
- New skills to last a lifetime
- Economical and environmentally sound transportation